Song Of The Bailing Man
Released June 18 1982.
Produced by Adam Kidron
Fire Records FIRECD365 Mar 18 2016 (UK),
Apr 29 2016 (ROW), cd.
Following tours in support of The Art Of Walking
, Scott Krauss quit the band, the second of the three times he would do so. Previously, he had quit just before the release of The Modern Dance
. At that time he was replaced by Clevelander Anton Fier
. A week later when Scott wanted back in, Anton graciously stood aside. In 1981, Anton, again, agreed to join the band as Scott's replacement.
After The Art Of Walking
, the band's best selling record to date, there was a desire to do a more focused project. Geoff Travis
, head of Rough Trade Records, suggested a producer, Adam Kidron
. Adam came to Suma. The presence of Anton Fier on drums and his sense of structure shaped the output. Unfortunately, fractures appeared between the free-wheeling Mayo and the perfectionist Anton. A tour of America late in 1982 exacerbated the fractures. The situation became intolerable. The band returned from the tour and no one wanted to talk to anyone else or make any plans. This state of things went on for a number of months. Eventually, the members of the band began to say, 'Yeah, we're broken up.'
Engineered by Paul Hamann.
Recorded and mixed in August and December 1981, and January 1982 at Suma. Trumpet overdubs recorded in London.
Mastered by Nimbus as a 45rpm vinyl lp March 1982.
Artwork designed by David Thomas.
Photos by Mik Mellen.
Reissue artwork designed by John Thompson, idrome.
Digitally transferred at 192khz / 24 bit resolution and mastered by Paul Hamann at Suma in 2008. Cds from this Master are identified with the words "2008 Master" on the tray card.
Digitally transferred at 44.1 khz / 20 bit resolution and mastered by David Thomas and Paul Hamann at Suma in 1994.
Songs written by Fier - Maimone - Ravenstine - Thomas - Thompson. ©1982 Fire Songs under license from Ubu Projex / Rough Trade Music.
Pere Ubu (v.4.0)
- David Thomas - vocals
- Mayo Thompson - guitar
- Allen Ravenstine - EML 101 & 200 analog synthesizers
- Tony Maimone - bass
- Anton Fier - drums, piano, marimba, percussion
- Guest Player
- Eddie "Tan Tan" Thornton - trumpet
- Rough Trade Records
- (UK) Rough 33 1982 lp.
- (US) Rough US 21 June 1982 lp.
- (UK) Rough CD 33 1989 cd.
- (US) Rough US 21 1989 cd.
- Bomba Records BOM819 (Japan) May 26 1999 cd. 1994 Master.
- Thirsty Ear Records THI 57080.2 (US) Nov 16 1999 cd. 1994 Master.
- Cooking Vinyl Records
- COOK CD 158 (UK) Nov 1 1999 cd. 1994 Master.
- COOK CD158 (UK) March 2010 cd. 2008 Master.
- S4 Records 496675 2 (Italy) cd. 1994 Master.
- Get Back Records GET 90 (Italy) 2002 vinyl lp (180g).